Thursday, May 08, 2003

Thursday 8th May
Got up at 6:40, had breakfast and watched reports on the latest movements of the white clad Panawave People. As usual they were in a lay by somewhere on a country road out in Booniville Japan. Left at 7:25 and caught the train…nothing out of the ordinary there. The Yurakucho line was a trial, it really was. It was horribly crowded, and as today was humid the journey to Iidabashi was even less pleasant than usual. So different from when I go to David's on a Sunday morning. Then the trains are nice and empty, I can sit down and enjoy the journey. I tried to keep in mind the wise words of Victor Frankl and his tenants of logotherapy, but it was just too crowded. I wasn't even listening to the iPod; I didn't put it on at Ikebukuro and on the train it was impossible to move.
Surprisingly humid today, got to Hitachi more than a little damp. Four students came in the end. We did the class and then I left. Got to the office at 11:15 after an uneventful journey… well, what else would it be? Eventful? There have no events in my life for quite a while. When was the last event?
And so here we are at the office, until 4:50 when I go to AXA, another uneventful day. Ah, but, John, be careful what you wish for, as they say. Do you want events to occur in your life? Have you ever read the "Monkey's Paw"?
After a long weekend, talking about Berlitz and not having to the office since last Friday, I start to think that perhaps it's not as bad as I thought. Perhaps it was a bit of a storm in a teacup… but then the evil threads of the office miasma start to penetrate my psyche and I realise that of course it is as bad as I thought. Even if the alternative is a Bi-Lingualesque succession of classes in small booths, it has to be at least different to this. I know I don't have a lot of work to do in the office, and that's partly the problem. Familiarity breeds contempt and madness. Get out while the goings good. You asked for an opportunity and here is one in your lap. Help from Barry and help from David, don't say you don't get help, don't say opportunities never come your way. We walk by them every day.
Right, so this one? Got to take a chance, and it's not even a chance. William went almost all the way but in the end changed nothing. Should have called yesterday, had the whole day off, and I have to admit that by 6:00 I was getting bored!
Got quite busy – Mathew and Emil arrived for training by Larry, embarrassing, I could hear it, repeat this, and again, faster, I could hear them cringe and hide it. Then pony tailed and deep voiced Sean arrived for probably more of the same.
I got out at 5:50 thank God and read Gurjieff on the train to AXA.
When I couldn’t see William in the crowded coffee shop I called him and he told he was upstairs in his classroom which is where I found him. We talked about how the fuck we can get out of the trap and out of the clutches of the black widow who sits in the middle. And we talked more on the train home.
Pretty good lesson, a good laugh quotient. Uragami told us about his dream job of a “companion” bodyguard he protected their bodies by day and violated by night, if he is to believed, bastard!
Home, dinner, lots of emails. One of which is from David and he tells me Berlitz is desperate for teachers and they will give white orchids if ask them.


No comments: