Saturday, March 12, 2005

How to Make a Linocut Print


how to lino print
Originally uploaded by Jaqaroo.
Someone asked me about how these prints were made. In fact someone asked me what "lino" is. I wonder if that's a British word? It's short for linoleum, the stuff that people put on their kitchen and bathroom floors... or at least they used to.
The lino used in art for printing is a little different. The traditional lino is a kind of corky, woody brown material, about 3-4mm thick. I remember using it in school. But what I use now (In fact it's the only type I've found here in Japan) is a plastic lino. It cuts very smoothly and of course you can use it many times and wash it without it deteriorating, unlike the tradtional lino. The only disadvantage is that I can only find it in two sizes: postcard and double postcard size. Traditional lino come in a variety of sizes, so you can do large pieces - Picasso did posters using linocut prints.
The cutting part can become very engrossing - a kind of right brian, zen activity - I lose alll track of time and become focussed on cutting.
Some people might regard linocut prints as the poor cousin of the more serious wood cut print , but hey if it was good enough for Picasso it's good enough for me.
Try it yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you John... I find the information you posted to be most edifying.

I hope to attempt such prints myself... someday... an excellent photo by the way. The composition is excellent as usual...

E