Friday, October 08, 2004

October Clouds #1


clouds1.JPG
Originally uploaded by Jaqaroo.
I like clouds and recently I have been trying to paint them, but I'm finding out how difficult it is. It's easy to draw a symbolic, cotton wool round cloud shape, but real clouds aren't like that... almost nothing is.
One reason my first attempts at painting clouds were not successful was because I forgot that like everything else clouds obey the rules of perspective and of light and shade. I shall try again. I shall keep my head in clouds and my eyes to the heavens...

What I loved about the skies in England when I was there last winter was the (occassionally) blue skies, clouds and the thin straight white con trails of the high flying jets. There is something about those white lines in the blue sky... perhaps it's the sense of scale they give.

No comments: