Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Ushuaia Bay & Peaks


Ushuaia bay & peaks
Originally uploaded by Jaqaroo.
I spent 4 days in Ushuaia, Patagonia, which was a couple of days too long actually, but I couldn't get an earlier flight out so four days (and three nights) it was. The second day, the first full day, was the best, and indeed ranks pretty high in my list of all time best days. It was a perfect day; blue sky and sea and no wind. I walked all over the town, down to the bay, and then up to those mountains and the small glacier.
The one thing I now regret about not just the days in Ushuaia, but the whole Argentina and Chile trip was that I didn't draw anything. Those four days in Ushuaia could have been so productive and creative. Photographs are great, they document the place, but to draw something means to own it deep within you. To draw something means you open your eyes and really see. When you take a photograph you're not really looking at your subject, not as closely or as carefully or as intently as when you draw.
If I ever get the chance of a long trip again the first thing I will pack is my pen and sketchbook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John

it's my feeling that it's "never too late to start" and the same with your drawings. That photo was excellent. Close your eyes. Remember the smells, the sounds, the feelings, and then look again at your photos... talk out loud... and pull yourself back to Chile and Argentina again. You'll find what you need. And that white piece of paper will come alive as will your creative nature. Thanks for the posting... keep'em coming!

E